-Ethan Opolion, Headphone Guru
high resolution monitoring system
Purchase the m920 new factory direct!
$1895.00 ($1995 MSRP)
Free US expedited shipping included. US customers only. 30 day money back guarantee*
Purchase the m920 factory refurbished!
$1695.00 ($1995 MSRP)
Limited quantities are available. All refurbished units are fully inspected, tested and repackaged with new OEM packaging. Cosmetic quality is near new, with only very minor blemishes - scuffs or small scratches present.
Free US expedited shipping included. US customers only.
"My Grace Design m920 is the heart of the system I use to evaluate tracks for our Steinway CD label. The m920's sound is both rich and detailed. I love it!"
- Eric Feidner, Steinway & Sons NYC / Executive Producer, Steinway CD
Professional studio monitoring, audiophile DAC and reference headphone amplifier, all in one powerful little box
The m920 High Resolution Monitoring System provides wide open, musical audio playback performance for discerning audio professionals and connoisseurs. In this world of endless distraction, the m920 is designed to enable limitless engagement. Whether you are perfecting the details of a mix or blissfully drifting around your favorite DSD downloads - the resolution, detail and immediacy that occurs with the m920 at the center of your system will place you deep in the heart of the music.
Performance and features to rival any playback hardware
Building on our 15 years of experience designing reference playback equipment, the technology in the m920 is as evolved as it is refined. The new, world-class M Series 32-bit Sabre DAC provides an astonishing improvement in digital performance, delivering up to 32bit/384kHz PCM and 64x and 128x DSD playback. This DAC allows the user to select between 3 different digital filter response curves: fast, slow and minimum phase – which helps tailor the DAC section to personal tastes. Third generation s-Lock PLL circuitry improves jitter rejection without the use of sample rate converters. Asynchronous USB playback allows bit-perfect audio playback from your computer.
Analog design is carefully executed to ensure signals are rendered perfectly regardless of what type headphone drivers, amplifiers or speakers are being used. High current transimpedance output amplifiers can easily drive 8 ohm loads, making the m920 a perfect choice for even the lowest impedance headphones. Only the highest quality 0.5% metal film resistors are used throughout and there are no electrolytic capacitors in the signal path. Sealed gold contact relays are used for all signal switching.
The m920 is one of the great values in high end audio
We began building compact headphone amp / DAC's over 15 years ago. So the m920 represents lots of refinement with the addition of years of real world customer feedback. We have thousands and thousands of happy owners of these products. While there are countless more affordable derivative devices available now, a careful examination of the refinement, performance and design of the m920 reveals a product that is a little bit more expensive but a lot more value. We design and build everything in the USA, and back it up with our unrivaled 5 year transferable warranty. Our customer service is second to none, with customer satisfaction to match.
For the Audiophile
With several IR remote control options, including the Grace Design remote, or the apple remote and iOS / Android via Logitech Harmony, DSD128 playback, and beautiful, stable, open audio performance, the m920 will grace your system and engage you with your collection like never before.
For the Professional
With two sets of studio monitor outputs, two headphone jacks, a wide array of input options and deep calibration options, the m920 is the perfect choice as your svelte, clean and perfectly appointed monitor controller.
Don't just take our word for it - check the reviews!
- remote control
- computer setup tips
- Stereo analog inputs - balanced (+4dBu) XLR and unbalanced (-10dBv) RCA.
- Ultra low distortion 32-bit /384khz Sabre DAC accepts stereo digital input source in AES3, S/PDIF, TOSLINK (optical) and USB formats with auto sample rate detection and digital de-emphasis filter
- User configurable DAC filter response for PCM and DSD playback
- USB for playback of up to 384kHz / 32 bit PCM as well as DSD64 and DSD128 playback via DoP
- AES and S/PDIF playback of up to 192kHZ / 24bit PCM as well as DSD64 playback via DoP
- New dual-stage wide lock range PLL for improved jitter rejection on non s-locked sources
- Third generation s-Lock™ dual stage PLL (phase lock loop) circuitry for the ultimate in low jitter clocking and sonic integrity
- Two sets of line level outputs provided via RCA (unbalanced) and ¼ TRS jacks (balanced) for connection to stereo monitors
- RCA line outputs can be configured for variable or fixed dac output mode for operation as a standalone digital to analog converter
- Front panel rotary encoder provides precision level control of both headphone and the line output levels. Level adjustments are made in 0.5dB steps within a 95dB range
- 0.05dB channel level matching to ensure true stereo balance at any monitoring level
- Large, white 7-segment display is used to show headphone and stereo main output levels
- New X-feed (crossfeed) simulates the acoustics of a loudspeaker listening environment which can significantly improve imaging while reducing listening fatigue when using headphones. This feature employs carefully designed signal cross-feed, filtering and delay circuits to simulate hrtf (head related transfer functions)
- High current transimpedance output amplifier design drives 8 ohm loads. The m920 was specifically designed with low impedance headphones in mind
- Only the highest quality 0.5% metal film resistors are used throughout and there are no electrolytic capacitors in the signal path. Sealed gold contact relays are used for all signal switching
- Infrared remote control for level control, left/right balance, mute and more when using the optional remote control unit
- Apple IR remote control is supported with optional pairing
- USB firmware upgradability
- 5 Year transferable warranty on parts and labor
SPECIFICATIONS ANALOG IN
|Gain - Balanced Input|
|Headphone output, volume at maximum||0dB|
|Balanced Line output, volume at maximum||-0.5dB|
|Unbalanced Line output, volume at maximum||-8.0dB|
Frequency Response - Unbalanced In > Unbalanced Out
|@ 0dBu out +/- .25dB||15Hz - 50kHz|
|@ 0dBu out +/- .5dB||9.5Hz - 72kHz|
|@ 0dBu out +/-3dB||4Hz - 192kHz|
Maximum Input Level
Maximum Output Level
|Unbalanced output @1kHz, 100k Ohm load||+22dBu|
|Balanced output @1kHz, 100k Ohm load||+23dBu|
|Headphone output @1kHz, 50 Ohm load||+20dBu|
|Balanced Input||106K Ohms|
|Unbalanced Input||53K Ohms|
|Balanced Output||95 Ohms|
|Unbalanced Output||47.5 Ohms|
|Headphone Output||1.2 Ohm|
|@ 0dB gain, Balanced In > Balanced Out||116dB|
|@ 0dB gain, Balanced In > Headphone Out||117dB|
THD+N Balanced Input
|Headphone Out @ +10dBu, 50 Ohm load, SMPTE 4:1||<0.008%|
|Headphone Out @ +10dBu, 50 Ohm load||<0.0050%|
|Unbalanced Line Out @ +10dBu, 100k Ohm load||<0.00045%|
|Balanced Line Out @ +20dBu, 100k Ohm load||<0.00075%|
Output Noise Floor, Balanced Input
|Balanced Output, volume at maximum, 22-22kHz||-93dBu|
|Balanced Output, volume at minimum, 22-22kHz||-99dBu|
|Unbalanced Output, volume at maximum, 22-22kHz||-103dBu|
|Unbalanced Output, volume at maximum, 22-22kHz||-105dBu|
SPECIFICATIONS D/A CONVERTER
|Input Formats: AES, S/PDIF, TOSLINK||PCM: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz
|Input Formats: USB||PCM: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.4kHz, 384kHz
|44.1kHz, 24bit, 1kHz, -1dBFS, Unbalanced Out @ +15dBu||<0.0005%|
|44.1kHz, 24bit, 1kHz, -1dBFS, Balanced Out @ +15dBu||<0.0005%|
|Unbalanced Output @ 0dBFS, Volume at maximum, trim at 0||+9dBu|
|Balanced Output @ 0dBFS, Volume at maximum, trim at 0||+17.6dBu|
|Unbalanced Output @ 0dBFS, Fixed DAC Output Mode||+8.2dBu|
|Dimensions and Weight|
|Dimensions||H1.7" x W8.5" x D8.25"|
|Weight||5 lbs (2.2kg)|
An optional high quality wireless infrared remote control is available for control of the m920. Several of the buttons on the remote have dual functions, accessed by either a ‘push’ or a ‘push and hold’ action, and are described in detail in the m920's owners manual.
Regardless of the type of computer you will use to playback audio from, it must have at least one available USB port. The m920 ships with a standard USB type A to type B mini cable. The type A connector plugs in to the computer and the type B mini connector to the USB m903 input.
The m920's asynchronous mode USB DAC supports standard driverless operation on MAC to 192kHz and on PC to 96kHz. For sampling rates above 96kHz, PC users will need to download and install a free driver on their computer. This driver can be found here Windows USB Audio Class 2 Driver v2.23.0. Driverless operation basically means 'plug and play'. The m920 will automatically show up in your computer's list of supported audio devices as 'Grace Audio Device'. In most cases, simply choose that as your audio playback device and the system will work.
Different operating systems and audio players will pose their own set of complications in setting up the m920 as the audio playback device. In the event that 'plug and play' operation does not occur, you will need to look at some specific setup variables for your player and OS. In this case, we will direct you to a very well written and comprehensive document by our friend and colleague Charles Hanson from Ayre Acoustics. http://www.ayre.com/usb.htm
This is an invaluable resource for computer/USB audio setup information for most current operating systems, and we strongly urge you to familiarize yourself with the information pertaining to your specific OS.
Another resource is Wavelength Audio's website: http://www.usbdacs.com
In the event that you have any setup issues which aren't addressed by these resources, feel from to contact us directly at 303.823.8100 Monday through Friday 9 – 5, MST.